Hello Startup Weekend Lawrence participants!
We hope you’re all as excited as we are about kicking off Startup Weekend Lawrence this Friday! We’ve got a wonderful and varied registration list, so it should be a truly great weekend.
Here are some final logistics for you:
- Doors open at 5 p.m. on Friday. We encourage you to arrive promptly so you can begin to get to know your fellow participants. You’re taking a great journey together.
- The location is the main auditorium at the Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vermont St. Free long-term parking is available on the roof of the adjacent parking garage.
- Dinner (pizza or salad) will arrive around 6:00 p.m. and we will kickoff officially at 6:20 p.m. If you’re running behind, try to make it there by 6:20 p.m. If you have special dietary needs, e-mail us today or notify us on Friday night–we aim to please.
- Startup Weekends are casual. We think you’re real pretty when dressed to the nines, but don’t pollish up on account of us.
- We recommend you bring your favorite laptop or tablet, power cord, and if you’re romantic about days of yore, a pad of paper and pen. If you need something special, like a large computer monitor, art supplies, printer, your favorite stuffed animal, etc., please be our guest. Though, the Library does prohibit alcohol, weapons, and the like. We cannot be responsible for watching your possessions, so watch out for rapscallions and pickpockets. If it’s valuable, take it with you!
As soon as dinner and speakers are finished, we’ll jump into pitching business concepts. We will explain how the pitch process works in the opening speech, but here are a few key points!
- Pitches are 60 seconds, so: Be. Succinct.
- Everyone has a chance to pitch. If you have multiple ideas (you’re creative, right?), pitch the best one first, as that might be your only pitch opportunity.
There are some truly spectacular speakers, mentors, and judges lined up for the weekend. These are great resources not just for the weekend, but after the weekend too. Take a moment to review their bios and see whose brain you might want to pick (for free we might add): http://lawrence.startupweekend.org/.
Last but not least, we want those of you who always enjoyed homework to feel you can put in those extra hours of bonus preparation. If that’s you, consider studying http://startupweekend.org/Attendee_Startup_Tools_pdf for ideas on how to think about the weekend. No extra credit awarded though.
If you have any questions, send an email to email@example.com and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can!
We hope you’re tingling with anticipation, because the work and fun starts in just days. See you soon!
Startup Weekend Lawrence Organizers
(Beth, Joe, Jake, & Devon)